Sunday, October 7, 2012

Spinning Videos

Here are some videos of how my 1970's Ashford Traditional is spinning.  I got her all rehabbed.  She has had some nice coats of beeswax from a neighbor's hive so her wood looks nice and hydrated again.  I got the Ashford maintenance kit so she has all the proper accouterments instead of some of the stop gap measures I was using when I started her rehab on vacation.  She spins so much smoother now.  I think my nieces must be natural spinners because they were getting passable yarn on her from the start.

In this video I realize my statements regarding the nuts was somewhat unclear.  Let me clarify.  The back nut came with the wheel when I purchased it.  It would not have been the nut that came with the wheel from Ashford.  Somewhere in her life this got changed from Ashford to my aquisition.  It should be a lock nut like the one in front.  The early 70's wheel crank set up has a lock nut in front and back of the crank.  I only put one on because if you "unlock" a lock nut it becomes like a regular nut and loses the locking property you need.  If you just use regular nuts for this set up then the crank ends up either screwing them on tighter (when plying) or unscrewing the nut and it falls off (when spinning).  And also sorry for the pile of garbage.  It was just the recycling we were organizing to take out but it does sort of make my house look vaguely hoarder like.




This is a close up video straight on of the hub so that the wobble can be seen.


Here is the video of me actually spinning on the wheel.  My husband seemed to think that having me in the video a lot was good.  I hope there are enough close ups of the wheel itself to demonstrate that she functions very well indeed despite her wobble.






No comments:

Post a Comment