Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hip Knit Hats by Cathy Carron


Hip Knit Hats: 40 Fabulous Designs by Cathy Carron mostly lives up to its name. There are few hats that could not be called "hip" in any decade, even ones when that term was relevant, cutting edge slang. However, there are plenty of wearable and even cute hats.

I made "Beth" which I would wear, well, with slight modifications. First of all, I made the adult women's medium size. I never thought I had a giant head, but this hat fits Beckett perfectly and I can barely get it on.
The dark green is a fairly accurate representation of the color.

The fit issues don't really bother me because I think the top knot is mostly ridiculous. I would make and wear this hat but sans giant bulbous, bobbly, knot. However, for Beckett I think it's cute. I'd heard this hat ran small so mostly I was making it for him anyway. I may go back and actually make a grown up size for me. It knit up very fast with bulky yarn.

The pattern looks minorly complicated with its twisting look, but it's simply alternating blocks of knit and purl stitch shifted one stitch every two rounds. It's quite clever and makes an interesting pattern. I've seen variations where you knit with one color and purl with another. I may try that.

1 comment:

  1. Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, Im taking your feed also, Thanks.
    Skull Scarves UK

    ReplyDelete