Friday, May 14, 2010

A knitting interlude


Since I don't actually own this book, but I did create a pattern from it a couple of weeks ago, (thank you public library system) I'll fill in the empty time while I make my current creation with pictures of the project I made from its pages.

This pattern came from One Skein Wonders 101 Yarn Shop Favorites. Not to be confused with the sequel 101 Designer One Skein Wonders that I am currently working from. (There is also a luxury version for really expensive yarns that most people can only afford one skein of.) The sweater is the little orange one in the bottom right corner. I tend to have a lot of single skeins because I'm cheap and buy stuff on clearance, and also because I've never made adult clothes or afghans and toys and kids clothes don't really require that much yarn. So these one skein books are right up my alley. You can check out the one skein website for some of their free patterns.

I was mostly pleased with the results, but I hated working with the boucle yarn I used. It was squeaky and fiddly to pick up. Because of all the bumps it was really easy to drop stitches and hard to notice the ladder until you had a lot to fix. I also had a little trouble with setting the sleeves. Something about the stepped bind off to make the armhole just didn't work for me. But it was definitely a fast knit and on a body the faults disappear and it looks very cute. I almost wish it was colder so I could have Ciaran wear it around. I'd give it away, but the sleeves really annoy me and I don't want someone to get a sub par present.

Cute on, right? An adorable model doesn't hurt.

I hope this picture gives you some idea of how crappy and bumpy that stupid boucle is. But I've got to use it and clean out my stash. It comes from the days when I had just learned to knit and would buy any yarn if it was cheap enough.

The arm doesn't point straight up like that. I just laid it out weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment